Recycle Plastic Yard Signs
|Table of Contents|
|Recycle Yard Signs|
|Perils of Plastic|
|Where to Recycle|
|Ideas for Reuse|
Whether yours is a red state or a blue state, help turn your state green by responsibly recycling the thousands of corrugated plastic election signs that sprout up everywhere each campaign season. No matter who wins at the polls, we all win by recycling!
The Perils of Plastic
Tons of plastic and metal crowd our landfills each year, where they remain for thousands of years before breaking down. Additionally, landfills are limited to specific sizes, so once they’re full, new landfills must be created.
Because they are entirely recyclable, those corrugated yard signs most commonly seen covering yards and street corners during election season are one less thing we can send to landfills by using a bit of ingenuity.
Recycle Those Yard Signs
Many local curbside recycling programs do not accept campaign yard signs or their metal stakes and frames; fortunately, they are completely recyclable elsewhere. Specially designated recycling drop off centers are designed to wash, shred, and melt these plastic boards (or convert them to plastic pellets), which are transformed into useful items including trash cans, beach chairs, toys, or other things made of heavy plastic. The metal stakes and frames can be taken to locations that accept metal, including local businesses that often pay for scrap metal to be used in future projects.
Creative Ways to Transform Election Signs
Repurposing those post-election season yard signs is an inexpensive, useful way to keep them from loading up landfills while enjoying a bit of creative fun during the process. These are some of our favorite ideas:
- Keep those yard sale signs off utility poles and market your message to the masses. Spray paint the signs and stencil away. Include your address, the day and time of your sale, and even a few of the items bargain hunters may find!
- Get creative! Spray paint those yard signs for celebrating lots of wonderful events, including baby’s arrival, birthday parties, graduations, open houses, lemonade stands, and more.
- Wintertime fun! Larger corrugated yard signs are perfect for sledding down snow covered hills and are lightweight and easy to carry back up the hillside for even the smallest sledding snow bunnies.
- Season’s greetings! The metal stakes, also known as H-stakes, used to hold yard signs, are perfect for anchoring holiday yard décor and keeping your favorite decorations from being blown over (or away!) by those blustery winter winds.
- Mark those milestones! Prime your yard sign with bonding primer, grab some chalkboard paint, and create your own custom chalkboard. Perfect for marking first days of school or practicing those math facts or handwriting skills over and over again.
- H-stakes also make sturdy props for supporting your growing vegetable, plant, and flower gardens.
- Corrugated yard signs make terrific yard helpers as makeshift dustpans for sweeping up leaves and other debris.
- Corrugated yard signs are lightweight, sturdy, and easy to cut. Measure the bottoms of your reusable shopping bags and add your custom inserts for a bit of extra (and waterproof!) stability. The boards slide into your folded bags for easy storage.
- Yard signs make ideal surfaces (or ‘drop cloths’) for spray painting smaller projects – by protecting patios, driveways, and yards from misting paint.
- Design your own vinyl decal to cover your corrugated signs, an economical way to transform your yard signs and share a brand new message!
Whether you have a few yard signs or enough to spread throughout the whole neighborhood, transforming them into new signs or garden helpers is a terrific way to reduce, reuse, and recycle! Let your imagination lead the way!