As a content writer who has written about signs galore, I have discovered an occupational hazard. I notice signs. Everywhere I go! Signs are everywhere: the good, the bad, and absolutely atrocious. There are plenty of shameful signs out there.
For businesses and consumers alike, signs are an investment and are designed to achieve a specific promotional or informational purpose. CustomSigns.com will help design the signs you need to meet your promotional goals, including yard signs, directional signs, banners, or safety signs, just to name a few. To get you started, we’ve compiled the following tips so that you can design visually effective and interesting signs that are sure to get the attention they deserve.
Features of Poorly Designed Signs
There are multitudes of ineffectively designed signs out there, barely grabbing the attention of anyone whizzing by, whether by bus, car, bike, or even walkers out for a stroll. Signs tend to be crammed with entirely too much information, including text, colors, pictures, or logos, among others. Perhaps the size of the sign is all wrong for the message that is meant to be conveyed.
When it comes to effective signs, keep them visible and legible – less is always more!
The Benefits of Good Signage | Signs That Are Thoughtfully Made and Easily Readable
When signs are designed and custom made for your specific needs, they will become an integral part of your marketing and branding outreach efforts. Signs are economical, easy to install, custom, and an affordable way to advertise or spread your message. The professionals at CustomSigns.com are here to assist you every step of the way.
How to Create Appealing and Effective Signage
First, it is important to determine the type of signs you need. At CustomSigns.com, we’ve got you covered with banners, corrugated plastic yard signs, aluminum signs with vinyl overlay, street signs, and vinyl signs, just to name a few.
How to Design Your Signs
There are many factors that should be taken into consideration before and during your design process. First and foremost, signs should be attractive, reusable (when appropriate), clear, concise, easily readable, and visually appealing.
Things to Remember When Designing Signs:
- Make sure that your signs are able to withstand normal weather conditions
- There should be either white or plainly colored space that includes no text or graphics; this ensures ease of readability and conveying your message to the reader
- Ideally, between 30 and 40 percent of a sign’s surface area should be left blank
- Choose the size of your signs wisely, considering how far away readers will be and the areas they will be viewed from
- Remember! Less is more when it comes to sharing your message, too many words are difficult to read from a distance and add unnecessary clutter
- When choosing font style, thoughtfully choose lettering styles that are easy to read when viewed from afar
- If using more than one font, choose styles that complement one another and limit each sign to two fonts; this will help your message to be more easily read
- Only use capital letters when necessary; using all caps will make your text more challenging to read
- If you have a specific phrase or key words to highlight, do so with bold font or black lettering
- Group information logically, strategically separating your design layout and blank spaces
- Sometimes, text is not necessary to relay the message of your sign, an eye-catching, self explanatory graphic is simple, yet effective
Did you know?
- Adding a border can increase readability, especially for roadside signs
- To make signs more easily readable from a distance, choose foreground and/or background colors that enhance the signs’ text and/or images
- Graphics and digital pictures can greatly enhance the look and impact of your custom signs
- Consider adding photos, official logos, artwork, or any other visually appealing design that relate to your signs’ message(s)
Where should my signs be placed?
You want your signs to be noticed – and remembered!
- Post your signs in places where they are likely to get maximum exposure from your target audience
- Be aware of placing your signs where potential obstructions may serve as obstacles preventing a clear view of your signs – without visibility by your target audience, your signs serve no useful purpose!
At CustomSigns.com, we are here for you, our valued customer. Whether you need help choosing premade signs that are right for you or would like to design your own signs, our knowledgeable Customer Focus Team is here to assist you every step of the way, before and after the sale. All of our products are made in our state-of-the-art facilities right here in the USA, where your complete satisfaction is our goal!